~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Monday, May 2, 2011

Current Events--Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Wow...what an event in history~

Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks on The United States of America, is dead.  Dead almost 10 years after those attacks.  Dead at the hands of an elite Navy SEAL team.  Dead under the watch of a president I largely disagree with.  However, I am impressed with the the decision made by our President and thank him for giving the "green light" on this operation.  

I let Bella watch the re-play of the President's speech this morning...history in the making.  At breakfast we talked about why this was such a huge event.  It's always interesting to navigate topics like 9/11 and terrorism with an 8 year old.  In general, we don't sugar coat information, but this subject can be hard to explain in appropriate language to a young one.  

Steve and I also try to view life events through the filter of our faith.  What might God think about this?  What does the Bible have to say about things like this?  How should we respond?

I cannot say that I am rejoicing that bin Laden was killed, but I'm not sad that he is dead either.  In fact, I found the news almost exciting...but not in a happy kind of way...maybe it was more like relief.  There is a sense of justice served, but I know to be careful about letting that emotion go to far.   Yes, he was an evil man.  Yes, he caused and encouraged the deaths of thousands.  Yes to so many heinous things, things that are unthinkable.

But he was a man.  He was a sinner...in need of a Savior.  A Savior he clearly rejected.  I cannot rejoice over the death of a man who I believe is in hell...even if my human heart thinks he deserves such punishment.  It is sobering.  It is such a mix of emotions.  Only my Sovereign God sees this entire situation clearly...true justice is in His hands.

Rach~

No comments:

Post a Comment