~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Friday, May 6, 2011

Juke, I Mean, Cigar Box Hero~

Check out the very cool cigar box guitar that Steve made for Bella. 

The cigar box guitar Steve made for Bella~

He actually helped make a bunch of these bad boys for Bella's Music Appreciation class at our home school co-op.  This one is a pretty simple model...they were being made for a class of 8 and 9 year olds afterall.

Cool Dad, cool girls, cool guitar~
The coolio thing, though, is that we learned there is a whole cigar box guitar community out there...and they do some amazing things with these little guitars.  Just google cigar box guitar and you'll find all sorts of stuff...some of them are simply beautiful!  And some of them get electrified too...way neato!  Visit cigarboxnation or cigarboxguitar to be inspired and learn more.  Or check out some of the stuff on YouTube...I mean, it's really impressive!  There is even a cigar box festival right here in York, PA.  It's at the end of August and I think we'll try to go if Steve finds a local job :)

Steve really put his blood, sweat, and tears into this project...literally, blood.  One night he was working on them and at midnight woke me up to tell me he had cut his finger pretty badly.  I stumbled into the bathroom to get a band-aid...meanwhile, he's holding a bandage around his pinky and explaining that the exacto knife slipped.  So, I had the band-aid ready and asked him to remove the bandage.  I was still groggy and thought this was just a bad cut, but not too much of a big deal.  So, off came the bandage...I couldn't believe the amount of blood pouring out of his finger.  Wow!  Now I was awake!  And a band-aid was definitely not going to work on this wound. We got it wrapped back up with gauze and tape and Steve headed off to the ER.  We knew stitches were in his very near future.


Poor Steve got home at 4 that morning with 6 stitches.  The cut was so deep that he almost made it to the bone...his fingernail stopped the blade.  It was only in the top joint of his pinky, but it was at such an angle that the actual cut was 1 inch long...ouch!  I would have taken a picture to share with all you faithful followers, but it was so gruesome that it turned my stomach...you're probably glad that I spared you :)  Thankfully, it is healing well and he is still able to play his own guitars...he was a little concerned for a while.  


Steve, you're an awesome dad...thanks so much for working on this project for Bella's class!  Love you!


Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment