~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Friday, May 13, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things~

Some of my books~
Books...books...and more books.

I LOVE books!

I especially LOVE old books, rare books, interesting books.  I love the beautiful covers and the tattered edges.  I love the sense of history.  I love wondering who used to own them and the journey that brought them to the shop or sale where I found them.






I love when they have names and writing and dates on the inside...I find it fascinating.

I love how they feel in my hands, the sound of the pages...and I enjoy reading them too.

My favorite book in my personal (and still quite small) collection is a book of Tennyson poems (discovered by my friend, Libby, when we were book hunting at a library sale right here in Media, PA back in 2009--thanks, Libby!).  


My favorite book in my collection~

Isn't she pretty!

A bit of internet research revealed that this book was published in 1886 or 1887. A handwritten inscription is dated 1888. This book, however, is not actually very valuable, but it is so beautiful and it is Tennyson after all. And its publisher (the John W. Lovell Company) has an interesting and controversial history.  It seems that Mr. John Lovell wasn't concerned with copyrights and just published anyway.  So, this book was technically an illegal copy at the time of it's printing.  But I LOVE my technically illegal copy of Tennyson :)

Have a great day...read a good book!

Rach 

No comments:

Post a Comment