~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Friday, April 29, 2011

40th Birthday~

Yes, today I turned 40!

And it's not so bad :)

I mean, really, it's just a number, right?  I refuse to be bothered with a number...although entering my 40's does feel a bit different than any other decade.  And I am a bit bummed that I can no longer tease Steve that while he is in his 40's, I am still only in my 30's...oh well, it was fun while it lasted :)

And the Prince and his Princess Bride made my day extra special by deciding to get married on my 40th birthday...thanks William and Catherine...bonus :)

I once heard or read someone say something along the lines of think carefully if you decide to fib about your age...what year are you willing to give up for a number...the year you graduated from high school or college...or the year you got to take that amazing trip...or maybe the year you fell in love with your spouse...or the year your baby was born?  

That thought has stuck with me through the years.  Life is full of so many special moments and memories...I'm not willing to trade them for a number :)  There are some not-so-special moments and memories too...but I'm not really willing to trade them for a number either.  The life that God leads us through is amazing, hard, wonderful, difficult...I'm not trading any of it!

Now, I do have to say, though, that my "vision" for celebrating turning 40 is quite different than the reality.  Let me explain...

When we began our "grad school adventure", I really thought we would be done by now.  I had visions of Steve and I planning a wonderful 40th birthday get-away...sans kids.

Maybe a warm place with beautiful white sand beaches, fruity drinks, the soothing sound of ocean waves...

Or a long weekend in an exciting city like New York...fine dining, a Broadway show...

Or a quiet weekend in the mountains somewhere...secluded, hiking, fly fishing (for Steve)...

Yep, none of that happening anytime soon...but one day :) 

I definitely did NOT see myself 37 weeks pregnant when I turned 40...I'm pretty sure that I said I would NEVER do that...yep, pretty sure that I emphatically and clearly have said on numerous occasions that I would NEVER have a baby past 38.  God must surely have laughed at me! 

And while this birthday looks different than the visions above, it is a great birthday!  I have a wonderful husband who is all but officially Dr. G...so proud of you, Steve!  I have two fabulous daughters and we wait excitedly for our 3rd daughter to make her debut :)  I have an amazing family and delightful friends who I love and adore...and who make my life wonderful! 

God has changed and grown me in ways that I never dreamed possible.  I am so very far from perfect, but He keeps working on me anyway.  I am more aware of His abundant love and grace...I am more aware of my need for Him...I am more aware of His care and provision.

Turning 40 is not so bad...actually, it's pretty darn good :)

Have a blessed day~
Rach

1 comment:

  1. Great post Rachel. So true...I turn 40 this year as well and it sure looks different from 20 than from 39. :-) Love the quote about which year would you give up.

    ReplyDelete