~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Elijah Would be Ten Today

Elijah would be ten today.

Ten years ago today I had my first baby. Ten years ago today he died in his Daddy's arms.

This day has been coming and going for ten years now...and I still never know what to expect. Sometimes it is very intense and the emotions can be so raw...other times it is more mellow and reflective. And often it's a combo of both.

As Elijah's birthday approached this year, I found it hard to imagine what our life would look like with a ten year old boy running around our home.

And God turned my focus to what Elijah's life has been like.

"...I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said:

Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory!"
Isaiah 6: 1-3

My son has known the glory of God, literally, since the day he was born. He has lived his life in heaven. He has lived his life with our Lord. He was released from the very difficult medical life he probably faced here on earth and has lived a healed life in heaven. How glorious!

Oh, I still have so many questions, but God has healed me from so much of the Why? that troubled me for so many years. I am so very thankful for His healing in my heart.

My questions now are more about the mysteries of heaven and sometimes just good old curiosity. Is Elijah still a baby? Or do we continue to age and grow in heaven? Or something in between? What does Elijah know about his family here on earth? Does he have a relationship with his brother or sister we lost to miscarriage? Has he met any other of our family and friends who are already in heaven? Does he have friends in heaven that he can't wait for us to meet?

There are so many things to ponder...so many things I would love to know. These are things of glory, not of grief. There are some hints and clues in scripture that I find fascinating. I am thankful that God included them in His word.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

Hebrews 12:1

These encouraging words follow the "Heroes of Faith" section of Hebrews. I don't know how this "cloud of witnesses" part works, but I am encouraged that at least some in heaven make up our cheering section.

"I shall go to him, but he will not return to me." 2 Samuel 12: 23

This may be a strange verse to bring comfort, but it does. These words are spoken by Kind David following the death of his first son with Bathsheba. It is the end of a sad story. These are words of a grieving father who expects to one day see his son again and for some reason, God chose for them to be recorded in scripture. I am thankful for the hope they bring...hope of one day being reunited with Elijah in heaven.

The details and descriptions found in Revelation are pretty awe inspiring. I'm not a theology expert, so I don't claim to know exactly how or when all will work out concerning the new heaven and the new earth, but I do see some pretty amazing stuff recorded for us in scripture.

"The wall was built of jasper, while the city was pure gold, clear as glass. The foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with every kind of jewel. The first was jasper, the second sapphire (one of my favorites!), the third agate, the fourth emerald, the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass."

Revelation 21: 18-21

Wow! New Jerusalem will be beautiful! It's hard to even imagine. This is the description of the city...are there other parts of heaven? What are they like?

Truly, I don't think I can comprehend how wonderful heaven is and how wonderful it will be, but having Elijah there ahead of me has caused me to consider heaven very differently. God has shown me that heaven is glorious, every detail perfectly prepared by our Lord himself, and I am thankful.

"...as we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

2 Corinthians 4: 18

Have a blessed day~
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    So well said. I shed a tear as I read. Oh the wonderful mysteries of our sovereign God...one day we will see clearly!
    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this. we just lost our 3-day-old son, Crosby on December 30. comforting to know there's still hope - and still pain.

    ReplyDelete