~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Friday, January 28, 2011

Things that go Bump...

...but no worries, all is well.

I found a lump under my arm back in early December.  At the time, I had a chest cold, so I didn't worry and just kept an eye on it.  The cold went away, but the lump did not.  I went in on Friday, January 21st to have my doctor look at it since it wasn't going away.  She wasn't overly worried, but she did ask me some questions that started making me a bit nervous.  She was concerned enough to send me for an ultrasound of the lump.  I made an appointment for the following Monday...and began to think that it was going to be a long weekend.

Steve patiently listened to my concerns when he got home that night.  He also prayed for me and sweetly and gently reminded me to look to Jesus.  I am so very thankful for a husband who turns my eyes to the Lord.  Normal concern is one thing...dwelling in scary and unnecessary places is another.  In all honesty, I also kept myself busy with projects around the house and listened to lots of worship music. 


But sometimes my thoughts did go to dark, what-if places.  Why is that?  Why do I think like this?  Is it human nature?  I don't have good answers, but I do have a Savior who whispered to me all weekend.  He didn't get frustrated with me for some of my thoughts and wonderings...instead He reminded me to take my thoughts captive and turn them to Him.  He reminded me of scripture and His promises.  He reminded me that He is with me in any circumstance and situation and that He is already aware of it all.  He kept me calm while I waited through the weekend for my appointment; He did not allow me to dwell in darkness.

"Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you..."   Psalm 55: 22



"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say Rejoice...The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."                        Philippians 4: 4-9


The ultrasound appointment went well.  Strangely, the tech, could feel the lump, but it did not show up on ultrasound.  This was reassuring, but I still had to wait for the official results from the radiologist and my doctor.  (Interestingly, this was the same tech who had done our baby ultrasound a couple of weeks ago.  She wanted to know how the cake-cutting went and what we thought of the news.  It was fun to share and talk with her again.)

The final word from my doctor is that it is not a soft tissue problem...good news.  It does not appear to be an infection or a cyst of any type.  She thinks it's probably simply because I'm pregnant...gotta love the things that pregnancy hormones can do to the body :)  I am supposed to watch it and let her know if I notice any changes, but for now, there are no worries.  

I am obviously thankful that it is not anything too concerning.  I am also very thankful for how the Lord ministered to me while I waited for the official results.  I am thankful for the modern medicine that is available, but I am most thankful for this truth; my Lord is with me through any and every circumstance...the good, the bad, and everything in between.


God bless~
Rachel



1 comment:

  1. Good reminder! Thanks for sharing your struggles as well as God's provision!

    Mary Foreman

    ReplyDelete