~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Something had to give...

GASP...I have no health insurance.

Why don't I have health insurance?  

Simply because we could no longer afford it.  Yes, our grad-school budget strikes again...and again, we have learned a lot!

Steve has insurance through Penn and the girls, thankfully, have insurance too.  I had private insurance for the first 3 years that Steve was in school...expensive private insurance.  Insurance that I never even came close to meeting the deductible on (which is a blessing), so I still had to pay for all my doctors appointments out of pocket.  Basically I was paying for all my own visits just for regular check-ups and care and still paying hundreds of dollars a month for the "in case" insurance.  And I'm pretty healthy...no blood pressure issues, no cholesterol concerns, low blood sugar, low triglycerides, no recurring medical problems, and I exercise regularly.  And while I may not be the thinnest girl, I am healthy...and the weight keeps dropping too :)  And it still cost us hundreds of dollars per month to insure me.  As our student budget kept getting tighter and tighter and our savings dwindled, we simply had to find areas to cut some big expenses...and health insurance was one of them.

Now I belong to a national Christian health care co-op called Samaritan Ministries.  It is not health insurance nor does it guarantee that any of my medical or health care bills will be paid.  Instead, it is a sharing ministry where all the members pitch in and help pay one another's medical costs.  There are guidelines and rules about what can be submitted for sharing.  The member is responsible for the first $300 of a medical need, and then the ministry begins helping.

I had heard about Samaritan Ministries, but was fearful of not having any insurance.  So I kept it in the back of my mind and only really investigated how health-sharing ministries work once our finances got extra tight.  I was impressed with what I learned and also very impressed with the why of using such a ministry.  It really caused me to consider how I use and view insurance.  

Now, don't get me wrong...I think health insurance can be a wonderful thing...and if you are blessed to have good insurance, remember to be thankful.  Sometimes I wish our finances hadn't forced us to consider other alternatives.  And when Steve has a job again, I may very well have traditional insurance again...but then again, I might not.


What has this health sharing ministry taught me?  

One, when you have insurance and simply show your card, you are not usually aware of what your treatment cost...you may not even care what it costs.  But you should...you should care a lot.  Now,  when I make an appointment, I research the practices/doctors and then I call around to a few places and get quotes for the cost of the service...and the prices are often all over the place.  For example, when I had my last eye exam, I got quotes ranging from $75 to $150 for the same thing.  I chose the $75 exam...and no, it wasn't a questionable practice or doctor.  I saw a University of Pennsylvania doctor at a Penn Medicine satellite office here in my town.  Here's another example:  I found a local dentist (nice new office and equipment) who offers a plan for those without dental insurance.  For $95 per year, I get two cleanings and one set of dental x-rays.  I also get a discount on any other treatments I may need...which, thankfully, I have not had to use.  

Two, you should carefully consider if that test is really necessary.  You should have informed conversations with your doctor about your care.  How many medical tests are run every day/week/month/year that are simply unnecessary?  For example:  it was time for me to have my yearly physical.  I saw my doctor, she checked everything and then reviewed my blood-work from the previous year.  I was having no issues or concerns and had lost even more weight.  My numbers (like cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar) were so low from the previous year that she recommended I wait another year before doing another blood panel.  She honestly felt it wasn't necessary for me to have that test done at that time.  If I had had insurance, she would probably have just ordered the test, I would have flashed my insurance card, and hundreds of dollars would have been wasted.   

Third, a person should be proactive about their health.  Well, well...some could say that this is the pot calling the kettle black because for many years I did a HORRIBLE job of this and it showed up by me gaining lots of weight.  Thankfully, that has changed.  I now see how important it is to take care of myself and I also see how life circumstances (and excuses, in all honesty) allowed me to get so out of shape and justify my choices...and that was a vicious cycle that was hard to break out of.  Here's the point, a lot of medical care and cost is caused by individuals not taking proper care of themselves.  There are many conditions that can be avoided or relieved and sometimes even cured by making healthier choices...especially ones that revolve around eating habits and weight gain.  I completely understand that all things are not fixable or avoidable with diet and exercise, but many are...or can at least be reduced and relieved with lifestyle changes.  Be very wary of having a "is there a pill I can take for that?" mentality.  Also, be thankful that we live at a time and in a country where good medical care and medicine is available...because sometimes medicine is necessary.  I'm just encouraging you to consider your approach to how you use the medicines that are available.  Hard work is hard, but it does get easier...and you'll feel better...and your health will improve.  

And, just for the record, I am very aware of how much more I still need to do...I still have a long way to go to get to where I want to be with my health and weight.  I may not be as thin as I was back in college, but I sure am healthier because of how my lifestyle has changed...and my family is healthier too.  I realize that this can be a touchy subject, I am just asking that you truthfully consider how you treat your body.  I think I'll stop there...it's time for me to get off my soapbox :)

I have more I want to share about Samaritan Ministries, but I think I'll write a separate post about it.  Yes, I am having a baby without traditional health insurance...and I want to share what God has done.


Have a great day--God bless~
Rach







No comments:

Post a Comment