~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Samaritan Ministries

As mentioned in a previous post (Something Had to Give...), I have no health insurance.  And most of you probably know that I'm less than a month away from the due date of our newest baby.  Instead of traditional health insurance, I belong to a Christian health-sharing ministry called Samaritan Ministries.

It has been quite an interesting experience to navigate something as big as a pregnancy without traditional health insurance...it has also been eye opening...and a joy!

First, I decided to see midwives for my care.  Steve and I chose to go with a group who practices at a birth center rather than a hospital.  The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr is more of a home-like environment and that fits well with our philosophy toward childbirth...less medical intervention, more natural.  It is also across from the hospital just in case, so we are very comfortable there.  Granted, I may find myself regretting the decision to be in a place where I cannot get an epidural during the heat of the moment, but I've done natural before...and survived :)


Second, we were pleasantly surprised with how the birth center works with patients like me.  They offer a discount to self-pay clients if you pay for your care in advance...by the 7th month.

Current stats on average childbirth costs reveal that the average hospital birth costs anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 and sometimes even more.  The more intervention required (or chosen) the higher the cost.  Also, I live in the northeast, an area known to be higher than the country's average.  So, understandably, we were very excited to learn that the birth center's average cost is around $7,500...and then we chose to pay for my regular care in advance and dropped our cost down to $5,300.  Yes, friends, $5,300 to have a baby!  


There have still been some other costs that are not included in the amount above because they are considered optional or not necessary for every patient.  For example:  I had to have a Rhogam shot because Steve and I have different blood types.  I paid for it separately, but I also simply asked the birth center if they could discount it for me.  They charged me their cost for the shot, but waived the fee to administer the shot...easy.  


My most eye-opening example of health care cost gone crazy though was for my ultrasound.  An ultrasound was not included in the basic cost of care through the birth center, but we definitely wanted one.  I know that these tests can easily cost close to (or over) $1,000 depending on where it's done and other factors.  The ultrasound itself is not usually that expensive comparatively, but then you begin to add in the tech fee, the room fee, the radiologist fee, the waiting-room-breathing-fee...it can get expensive.  I asked my midwife if she had any recommendations and she referred me to a group who is not associated with a hospital, Oaks Radiology.  I called them and learned that the entire ultrasound would cost $154...that included all the tech, machine, and room fees.  The fee for the radiologist was just another $16.  Yes, I paid a total of $170 for my ultrasound.  We spent over an hour with the tech for that ultrasound...she looked closely and carefully at everything she could see...it was very thorough.  The only thing was that Gracia was not in the best position to see all of her spine at once that day, so the tech took lots of pics of parts of her spine...the radiologist and my midwives feel like we got a good enough look and are not worried about her physical growth or development, so we are thankful.  


Even with our other out of pocket costs (and barring any unforseen medical costs associated with her birth), we will be well under $6,000 for the cost of having Gracia...easily half of the average cost of having a baby in our area.

And what about Samaritan Ministries...how does that part work?  Glad you asked...

Each month I receive a newsletter from Samaritan.  Included with the newsletter is the personal medical need of another member that I have been assigned to help meet.  It's really quite neat.  I know the name of the person I am helping.  I know what their medical need was or is and I have their address.  I send a check directly to them in the amount of my monthly contribution which is based on my status with Samaritan...individual (couple or family plans are also available).  I also pray for them and send a note of encouragement along with my check.  Writing a check to a person with a medical need is so very different than when I was just paying for health insurance.  It is a blessing to know that a collective group of us is very practically helping another believer.  

And now we are the ones who have a medical need...Gracia :)  Steve and I finished paying for my expenses with the birth center last year.  In December, my need was assigned to others.  I received a list from Samaritan listing who was assigned to my medical need.  I had to keep up with who sent funds and when...easy paperwork.  And then Steve and I began receiving personal checks and wonderful notes from other members.  I was blown away.  Others really did share in helping to pay for the medical needs of our baby and the encouraging notes we received from so many was so special.  We praise you, Lord, for this ministry!


I understand that there are situations that could make this approach to health care difficult.  I understand that this approach is not for everyone.  I am very aware that if our own grad-school financial situation had been different, I would probably never have even looked into a health sharing ministry.  But this is the situation we found ourselves in and ultimately, I am thankful for it.  I very much appreciate what I have learned by navigating health care differently.  I appreciate what health care issues I am now more aware of.  I am very thankful to God for this ministry and how it has blessed us...both on the giving and receiving end. 

What a joy to share in the needs of others and to be helped by others as well...thank you, Lord~

Rach





 

1 comment: