~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Saturday, February 4, 2012

YUMMY!

One thing I LOVE about Texas is that it seems like every week the grocery stores have a contest to see who has the cheapest avocados...we are taking full advantage of their game!

Today's avocado was paired with some super yummy salad I made yesterday...isn't it pretty :)


I was inspired to try making this salad after I bought something similar at the local HEB Central Market.  Central Market...well, it's good that there's not one right around the corner.  How would I describe it?  It's a foodie's grocery store for sure...beautiful produce, an amazing bakery, very nice meats...all things gourmet.  My next door neighbor in PA is the one who suggested I visit CM...she recommended their tamales.  And she was right...the tamales were fabulous...I would have taken a picture, but we ate them too fast :)  CM has a huge chef prepared section...all sorts of great things to buy, bring home, and enjoy.  One of the things we decided to try was their black bean, corn, and jicama salad.  It was very good...and I was inspired.

Thankfully, my closest CM is 20 minutes away...too far to just stop by very often...that could be bad for our budget.  But I wanted more of that salad...so I made my own...and saved a bunch of money too.

Here's the recipe in case you're interested.  And you can add or delete ingredients based on what you do and don't like.  I also thought it would be good mixed with some small pasta (like orzo) or with quinoa, couscous, etc.

Two cans black beans, well drained
One can corn, well drained.  I also chose to saute my corn on the stove so it was like I had roasted it.
One medium jicama, chopped
1/2 of a small purple onion, chopped
One bunch of green onions, chopped (including some of the stalks)
One orange pepper, chopped
One red pepper, you guessed it, chopped
One small jar of capers, well drained
Fresh, chopped cilantro...as much or as little as you like. 

I dressed it with olive oil, balsamic, and some raspberry vinaigrette...sorry, but I have no measurements for this dressing...I just combined them in a jar, shook, and drizzled...I also added salt and pepper to taste.  Oh, with most things like this, it was better the second day :)

Here's to a yummy salad...enjoy!
Rach  



No comments:

Post a Comment