~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day...and Cake Pops!

Happy Father's Day to my dearest Steve!  I love you so much!  

Steve, thanks for being a wonderful dad to our children...they adore you...and so do I!   
Steve and the ladies~

The big girls and I tried out a new dessert for Father's Day...we made cake pops...and they are get-in-my-belly yummy! 

Sweet treats~
First, we baked a good ol' chocolate cake...then the girls used forks to make it into chocolate crumbs.  Here's a pic for you...it looks like hamburger, but I assure you that it's really crumbled chocolate cake.  

Cake pops in progress~
Then we added some cream cheese frosting until we got a moldable consistency.  You're supposed to put it in the fridge for a while, but we just went ahead and rolled our "chocolate mess" into balls.  Then we added lollipop sticks and put in the fridge overnight.  

Making progress~
Today, we finished making our pops.  We rolled them in melted white candy chips.  I don't have a double boiler, so I just used the old bowl-over-boiling-pot-of-water trick.  I wish I could have gotten a smoother candy coating...I finally gave up because I knew they were still going to be yummy.  Some of the sticks came loose too...this made it a bit harder to roll them...maybe next time I'll have a remedy.  Back in the fridge they went...we watched an episode of Little House while we waited for them to chill...again, I wanted to punch Nelly.


Cake pops with candy coating~
The next step involved another candy coating...oh yeah, these were going to be good!  We divided a bag of Hershey Bliss White Chocolate meltaway candies into 3 equal parts.  Then, I microwaved them at 1/2 power until melted and added some food coloring.  The girls dipped the pops into the colored frosting and added various sprinkles...it was fun!  I liked the smoother consistency of the meltaways...I think I'll just use them next time and forget about the candy melts.  Back in the fridge they went.

Pretty little cake pops~
Then it was finally time to enjoy them...and they did not disappoint!  They are delicious!  We'll definitely make these again :)

Cheers!

Cute cake pop designer~

Cute cake pop eater~
Hope you had a wonderful Father's Day...God bless~
Rach



1 comment:

  1. Happy Father's Day to Steve - now Dad to THREE adorable little girls! :)

    Rachel -- I love this series of pictures. And you made my mouth water.... now I want to make cake pops with my daughters too!

    ReplyDelete