~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bloomin' Bluebonnets!

Aunt Carol had told us to plan on seeing the bluebonnets.

I love wildflowers (and I love photographing flowers), so I filed that little sightseeing tip away.

Then I saw a picture of a field covered in blue on a magazine at the grocery store checkout.

Oh...so those were bluebonnets...wow!

So I asked a neighbor about bluebonnets and got a little Texas bluebonnet education :)

And we waited for the event...the bluebonnet bloom.

We began seeing small patches of them here and there.  Steve learned from a co-worker that there is a field of them in north Frisco near an old cemetery...thanks for the tip, J :)

Did you say wildflowers and old cemetery?  Two of my favorite things...yeah, I'm weird like that...I find cemeteries to be fascinating.

So, one late Saturday morning (March 31st, to be exact), we headed out to find the bluebonnets.

We were not disappointed...isn't this just beautiful! 




Bluebonnet girls~




We had a wonderful time enjoying the bluebonnets...and we weren't the only ones out enjoying the blooms.  We watched lots of other families taking all sorts of pictures...lots of professional photos were being taken also.  Yes, I'd love a family portrait in a bluebonnet field too...one day :)



The big girls loved it...they enjoyed running through the field...visitors before us had already made lots of paths through the bluebonnets.  Baby Gray fearlessly crawled through the flowers...it was actually hard to get a picture of her because she was on the go as soon as we put her down :)

Run through the bluebonnets~

Baby Gray and bluebonnets~

There were buttercups too :)

Bluebonnet love~

At the top of the hill is Zion Cemetery.  It's pretty small, but I was pleasantly surprised at it's age...it's a bit older than I was expecting.  Seeing gravestones like these always make me wonder about the times and what difficulties families were facing...there were a lot of children in this cemetery.




"Budded on earth To bloom in heaven"

Bluebonnets through a hole in the side of an old shed at Zion Cemetery~


The lovely bluebonnet bloom...I think we've stumbled upon a new Texas tradition!  Happy Spring and God bless~

Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment