~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas dear friends and family!

I pray that your Christmas has been a blessed day so far.  

We are enjoying a restful day at my parent's house.  Our day began with us sending off my brother, Chris, very early in the morning.  He came out East last week and helped Steve and I begin our move by helping us load up and get to NC...we sure do appreciate his muscles and are thankful for the time we got to spend with him this holiday.  It's a bummer that he had to travel home today, but we sure did enjoy our time with him.  


We exchanged our gifts with him last night since he had to head to the airport before the sun was up.  He really hooked the girls up...the older girls are each enjoying their very own Nook Color and Gracia is mostly happy with her singing monkey...although she does give it a concerned, quizzical look sometimes :)  Chris, you really are a great Uncle and we all love you very much...thank you so much for your help and the gifts!


We all went back to sleep after Uncle Chris left and woke up at a more decent hour for presents.  It is so fun watching the kids open gifts on Christmas morning.  I love it!  Some of the highlights are (other than the Nooks):


Isabella's new calligraphy set...complete with her own wax seal~
Parcheesi...one of Sophia's favorite games~
A new necklace from Steve...made by a talented friend in PA...I love it Becky!  And if you think you might be interested in some of her beautiful jewelry, go here
Steve got a nice leather journal for songwriting from his sweet daughters~
Some gift cards that will be very nice when we get to Texas~
Pictures of the G girls for Oma and Opa~
And my mom got an iPad from my dad...she actually got teary eyed when she opened it~


I still have so much to do for Christmas.  In all honesty, our December was so crazy trying to get ready to move that we didn't do much to get ready for Christmas until we got to NC...a full 3 days before the holiday.  In some ways, I feel like we missed out on a lot of the fun of getting ready for Christmas.  We did enjoy a Christmas concert at a our church a few weeks ago and some other gatherings here and there...but we have been so overwhelmed with "the move" that many of our regular Christmas activities and preparations went by the wayside.  All that to say that I have not made any toffee and it doesn't look like I will this year.  I have things that still need to go into the mail to family...next week.  And early on I realized that there would be no Gonzales Christmas card this year...but I am hopeful for a New Year's update from Texas :)


As I reflect on how this Christmas is so different, it does give me a chance to ponder what is important and why.  Yes, I miss making toffee and sending it to those who love it and I miss baking cookies with my kids (although Steve did get in a sugar cookie session with the girls one day ;).  Instead of decorating my home for Christmas, I packed it up.  I missed picking out thoughtful gifts and I really missed sending out Christmas cards.  I really value these traditions and fun times, but ultimately they are not as important as the loves in my life.


My husband and our girls...they are my treasures.  My parents and my brother...they are a blessing in my life.  My in laws and extended family...although we are far apart, you are much loved and we miss you.  Dear friends who are near and far...how thankful we are that God has intertwined our lives.  I watched my big girls open their gifts and enjoyed their excitement...I watched our new baby and was overcome with the blessing of her.  


Today, I am thinking of a dear friend whose dad lost his battle with cancer last night...an hour before Christmas arrived.  I grieve for them and with them...I wish I could just hug them.   


Today, I am thankful for the improved reports of another friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer...his entire family is dear to us and I find myself often thinking of them as they wage this battle.  


Today, I find myself increasingly thankful for a Savior who loves so lavishly.  I find myself thinking about Him as a baby in a manger...knowing He was Lord of all yet choosing to come to us in such a meek and mild way.  


Here are the lyrics to a favorite song...Stuart Townend sure has a way with words~


"From the squalor of a borrowed stable, by the spirit and a virgin's faith; to the anguish and the shame of scandal came the Savior of the human race!  But the skies were filled with the praise of heaven, shepherds listen as the angels tell of the Gift of God come down to man at the dawning of Immanuel.  

King of heaven now the Friend of sinners, humble servant in the Father's hands, filled with power and the Holy Spirit, filled with mercy for the broken man.  He walked my road and He felt my pain, joys and sorrows that I know so well; yet His righteous steps give me hope again-  I will follow my Immanuel!

Through the kisses of a friend's betrayal, He was lifted on a cruel cross; He was punished for the world's transgressions, He was suffering to save the lost.  He fights for breath, He fights for me, loosing sinners from the claims of hell, and with a shout our souls are free-
Death defeated by Immanuel!

Now He's standing in the place of honor, crowned with glory on the highest throne, interceding for His own beloved till His Father calls us to bring him home!  Then the skies will part as the trumpet sounds, hope of heaven or the fear of hell; but the bride will run to her lover's arms, giving glory to Immanuel!"

Stuart Townend~

Here it is for your listening pleasure

I pray your Christmas overflows with beauty...the beauty of a Savior who loves you so very dearly.  May you know His love and joy, peace and comfort...may He be the one you find yourself wrapped up in this Christmas~

Rach

 





No comments:

Post a Comment