~a glimpse of life...a bit of this...a bit of that~

Monday, September 26, 2011

The National Constitution Center~

I love taking my kiddos on field trips!  We recently had two trips back to back...we had a blast and the girls learned so much.

Our first trip was to the National Constitution Center to celebrate Constitution Day.  


National Constitution Center, Philadelphia, PA~
Constitution Day is September 17th...this was the 224th birthday of the signing of the Constitution.  Every year the Constitution Center in Philadelphia opens their doors to the public for free.  This museum is beautiful, wonderful, interesting...and definitely strengthens my love for this country.  They have all sorts of special events and activities to celebrate...like this guy, who cut out silhouettes...way cool!

Bella, getting her silhouette cut~

And this neato set up...we learned how old printing presses worked.

Sophia, printing her copy of the Constitution~

We watched calligraphers, walked the hall of flags, watched a naturalization ceremony (which was a bit hard for the girls to follow, but it brought tears to my eyes), enjoyed the sculptures in Signer's Hall, saw an original newspaper from 1787 (the Constitution was printed on the front page for all to read), ate Happy Birthday Constitution cake...and lots of other fun stuff.  One of my favorites parts of this museum is a theater presentation called Freedom Rising...it's wonderful...I just love it!  

Hall of Flags, in the order that they became states~
Our soon-to-be state flag~

Learning when Texas became a state~

Pretending to debate in Signer's Hall~


Both big girls signed the Constitution~

Signer's Hall~

Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were there~
Sophia's calligraphy bookmark~

Happy birthday, Constitution!
I didn't get to eat cake, but I still had fun!
Mommy didn't dress me in red, white, and blue...but my bunny feet were mighty cute!

Have a great day...God bless~
Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment